Ever since I was a young girl I loved all kinds of chocolate chip breads: pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, and especially banana bread. Banana bread is still probably my favorite out of dessert breads. But let’s be honest here, anything with chocolate chips in it is my favorite. Chocolate makes everything taste better.
A couple of days ago I decided to go rogue; I wanted to bake banana bread. I saw a Facebook video for banana desserts and all the recipes featured were very bland and uninspired. I wanted to give back to the banana dessert community with a fun banana bread recipe. This is something I have never made before and I was determined to try. So, I got some bananas and waited patiently for them to ripen. Once my bananas were ready, I was excited for the delicious task before me: to make drool-worthy banana bread. And since I’ve been on my peanut butter chocolate chip fix, I thought why not do a peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread??
All said and done, I was very happy with the result. I had made my first homemade banana bread and it was delicious! The dark chocolate chips and peanut butter drizzle really makes this recipe standout in the crowd. Seriously, you have to try this! Grab some bananas now and let me know what you think!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Yields 1 Loaf
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk (I used almond milk with 1 tbsp of lemon juice)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
3 ripe bananas. mashed with a fork
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Peanut butter, warmed for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine butter, sugar, buttermilk, peanut butter, vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until combined, then fold in mashed bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake until golden brown and a fork comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes until serving.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with peanut butter (warmed in microwave).